DO I REALLY NEED A MISSION & VISION FOR OUR HOMESCHOOL?
Yes, girl…you need a homeschool mission and vision.
After running around in multiple circles this past year (2019), I realized that I actually should have a FOCUS. A mission. A vision.
WHY YOU NEED A MISSION AND VISION FOR YOUR HOMESCHOOL
Research has shown that people who come up with a mission and vision for the year are more likely to smash their goals and reach greater success. (Source: off the top of my head, but it’s true).
You need it because come April 6th, 2021, you are gonna be wondering how in the world you got yourself into this mess.
WHAT YOUR HOMESCHOOL YEAR LOOKS LIKE IF YOU DON’T CREATE A MISSION AND VISION
- You are going to end up buying more curriculum (activity books, crafts, etc.) than intended.
- You will have a harder time planning out your homeschool year.
- You will ask to join 10 gazillion FB groups and see what all the homeschool moms (and dads) out there have to say about:
- Math for 2nd grade
- Online foreign language classes
- Screen time
- Whether or not you should subscribe to KiwiCo
- Best planner for homeschool
- You will burn out in about 2-3 months.
- You are going to second guess yourself. Whether it’s:
- “Am I cut out for this?”
- “I don’t think this is the right science curriculum for Sam.”
- “I should not have gotten that used math curriculum on the FB resale page.”
- “What in the world is goin’ on here?”
- You will have a harder time sticking to the original plan.
WAIT, WHAT? I DON’T WANT THAT.
That’s right, girlie. No you don’t.
THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT YOUR HOMESCHOOL TO LOOK LIKE
- Plan out your homeschool year (month, quarter, etc.) #likeaboss and STICK TO IT!
- Know that your child (children) are learning what they’re supposed to be learning.
- Not worry about your kids being “behind.”
- More moolah in your bank account because you’re not wasting money on activities or curriculum that is just not what your children need right now.
- More time to spend and enjoy with your kiddos and family.
- No more comparing yourself or your kids to other homeschoolers.
THIS IS THE YEAR THAT YOU ARE GOING TO:
- Start your homeschool.
- Steer a smooth course (few bumps allowed).
- Stay sane (except for Wednesdays).
- Enjoy homeschooling.
- Be the true home educator that you are.
READY? ALRIGHT. LET’S GO.
Ok, if you are like me you are probably asking in your head…
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MISSION AND VISION?
I am with you on that one. Thank God for Google.
To put it simply…
- A definition of who you are, what you are doing, and why your homeschool exists.
- What your homeschool is right now (try using adjectives). “We are joyful learners.”
- Your purpose.
- The long-term goal, so to speak.
The simpler, the better (IMO).
Give some time and thought into this. But don’t take too long.
You can always tweak it later if need be.
In the words of a co-worker I used to work with…“Take your time, but hurry up.”
EXAMPLES OF HOMESCHOOL MISSION STATEMENTS
Off the top of my head…
- Roots Primary: Where creativity flows and love abounds. Reputable education of the arts at its finest.
- Walnut Grove Academy is a place where innovation and creativity exists. We are a Christian homeschool family who strive to learn about the world around us, contribute to society in a positive way, and give glory to God.
- Chesters Primary School prepares our children to be leaders. We are encouragers, active learners, and responsible students.
- What you want your homeschool to look like.
- What you want to achieve.
- What do you want to see by the end of the “school” year or homeschool journey.
EXAMPLES OF VISION STATEMENTS
- Moore Academy is a place where the love for learning never stops. We will change the world for the better. We will be living examples of excellence.
- Kailua Beach School: Where freedom and creativity is the air we breathe. We are dedicated to a life-long pursuit of exceptional knowledge in the art of imagination and originality.
OUR MISSION & VISION STATEMENT
THROW IN A HOMESCHOOL MOTTO
If you are really into these things, why not…
- Empower. Intelligence. World Changers
- A nurturing place for learning.
- Ingenuity and innovation at its finest.
I don’t know…LOL! But, you get the idea.
Put in a place where you can always refer to when needed (homeschool binder, homeschool room wall, office wall, etc.)
CHOOSE DOWNLOAD HERE
Please share your homeschool mission, vision, and/or motto in the comment section below! I’d love to read them!